The Museum of Art was founded in 1921 in Kaunas. In 1925 it represented M. K. Ciurlionis Art Gallery. In 1936 it was converted into Vytautas the Great Museum of Culture and was transferred to the new premises. In 1944 it was renamed the M. K. Ciurlionis Art Museum. And in 1997 Museum was granted the status of National Museum.
M. K. Ciurlionis National Art Museum is the oldest and the largest art museum in Lithuania. This is the place where visitor can be acquainted with the development of Lithuanian art from the Middle ages until these days.
The museum collects works by M. K. Ciurlionis and his memorabilia, Lithuanian folk art, 17th–20th century fine and applied art, Ancient Egypt art, foreign fine and applied art, numismatics.
It also has wide ranged archives of folk art and art life of Lithuania.
Exactly 334 758 displays are kept in this museum.
The best collections are presented to public in exhibitions and permanent expositions, which are arranged in 11 branch museums.